Rotary Family Health Day
This is one of the flagship projects of the Rotary Club of Morningside. Each year the club organises the event, held over three days, in Diepsloot. Services include hearing tests, HIV testing and counselling for a variety of needs.
Kwena Molapo School in Diepsloot
Kwena Molapo is a high school which punches way above its weight. It has consistently good results in the high nineties percentile pass rate for its matriculation students. The school has been supported with a library and an all-weather sports court.
The Rotary Club of Morningside has over a good number of years developed a strong portfolio of projects relating to substance abuse. In so doing, it has developed a strong working relationship with the Central Rand branch of the South African National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependency (SANCA).
- In the late 1990s, RCoM sponsored a 15-year old boy from Alexandra to spend six weeks undertaking a programme at the Staanvas (today Stabilis) Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Centre in Pretoria. He successfully completed treatment despite a pending court case.
- In 2007, we designed and built an alcohol and drug rehabilitation outpatient centre in Diepsloot for operation by SANCA. Up until that time, SANCA had been operating in Diepsloot without a fixed facility.
- In recent years, as above, we have been running our Rotary Family Health Days in Diepsloot in close collaboration with SANCA. SANCA has utilised this event to help implement its drug awareness campaign.
- Some three years ago, RCoM and the Rotary Club of Grande Pairie in Alberta, Canada collaborated on a project for the supply of gym equipment to SANCA’s new in-patient centre at Golden Harvest in the Northgate area of Johannesburg.
- In 2018, RoM donated branded jackets and torches to the SANCA-related Eldorado Park Drug Action Committee. A member of the club accompanied members of the Action Committee on drug raids in the area and witnessed the effective usage of the donated material.
General De La Rey School
General De La Rey School is a dual medium school for children from Grade R to Grade 7. Over the years the Rotary Club of Morningside has assisted the school with stationery packs and other necessities for those children who cannot afford them. We have also provided electronic white boards which teachers have found very useful.
Diepsloot Cricket Club
The Diepsloot Cricket Club competes in the Gauteng leagues. The Rotary Club of Morningside supports the club by providing cricket kit and procuring transport for the teams’ away matches.
The Blanket Drive is one of the foremost projects of the club. It raises funds and provides blankets for school children during the winter. To date we have over 400 blankets to donate.
Other Ongoing Projects
- Lunches for deserving students at Parktown Boys High School
- Ongoing donations for seeds for a vegetable garden at Sivilele School in Soweto
- Ongoing collection of spectacles, wool and matric dance outfits